Newburgh Canoe
Designed and Drawn by Rob Hewitt
and Built By Brian and Jane Horne Using U K Epoxy Resins
 
hull sanded ready for epoxy coating Moved on now and turned the lady over to fillet the voids along the outside seams; then sanded the whole boat inside and out the hull is now ready for epoxy sealing and sheathing She is looking good !!
Jane busy epoxy sealing the inside of the hull Epoxy sealing the inside of the hull
Varnishing the inside The inside I had always reckoned to clear varnish. Now for the varnishing, I used an oil based yacht varnish, one I had tried and tested before. ( Please note Brian is not using Lyles Golden Syrup )

I first checked with the makers (Witham paints of Lowestoft) to make sure their varnish would key over the epoxy. Yes it would. 6 coats of varnish was the order of the day to give a substantial build up to last a long time and give adequate protection. She looks beautiful!
Brushing the glass cloth to shape with a stiff brush you can change the shape of the fibreglass fabric to fit the hull better and lessen the need for darts and trimming. fitting the glass cloth
glass fabric pinned in place Brian pinning the fabric in place
I had decided to paint the outside green or better still use a green pigment in the final epoxy coats of the fibre glass sheathing. I am held up with the sheathing due to cold wet weather. I am waiting for some warmer dry days to effect a quick trouble free cure. Toying with the possibility of applying some localised heating; that is not easy. Eventually the day dawned when milder Spring like weather was forecast. I first decided to apply the "wet process" for the sheathing but, after laying the cloth over the hull and brushing this down, using a few temporary drawing pins to hold this in position, the whole all fitted so neatly that I just went ahead and adopted the "dry method". We realised that more care needs to be taken in the wetting out for this reason I wish I had chosen the "wet process", also adding the pigment at this stage seemed to make it more difficult to see drier spots. Using pigmented epoxy to wet out fibreglass fabric
Trimming masking tape Trimming the masking tape after the first coat of pigmented resin
A certain amount of relief takes over when that stage is completed, bear in mind that some panic exists, in the race to slap the stuff on before the cure sets in. Generally things went fine a fan heater was placed under the hull to boost the curing process. Before applying the final coat of resin we had to tidy the imperfections somewhat, like sanding down the joins and darts, oh, and the odd run. (I don't tell anyone about that!!) We brushed on the next coat which went very well. Final resin coat
Cured hull After that we waited a couple of days (mainly because temperatures were low again). We sanded the hull down and washed her with warm water and detergent (Rob's advice) Now that we have applied the final coat we are both satisfied with "a good job done"
Finished and looking beautiful Well done Jane and Brian ( Rob ) finished canoe
finished canoe outside Out in the sunlight at last
Rigged and ready to go finishe dcanoe with paddles
Bows on finished canoe Side view of canoe
Canoe on roof rack ready to go The day dawned when our latest nautical creation was to be launched. Our son and his wife were visiting us, so we thought now is our chance. We loaded her on to the car roof bars and tied her down with two ratchet ties. No snags with loading, she fitted quite snugly and travelling along was equally smooth.
Lifting the canoe of the roof rack Canoe on the shingle
We dipped her in at Slaughden quay, river Alde, Suffolk, a few miles down the road from where we live. Yes, she paddles easily with one or two on board. We found her to be very maneuverable taking the strong tide and moderate wind into consideration. We are new converts to paddling and looking forward to testing the Newburgh and ourselves. May be we will let you know how we get on. Cheers Brian & Jane, Ready to launch the canoe
First voyage Happy paddling